Sunday, October 24, 2010

Working Backwards- Italian marinaded chicken

Since I didn't start this blog until two months into this cooking a new meal every night, I am going to share some of the meals I cooked up to this point.  Periodically I'll add from the past in order to share a few more recipes. So, here's a dinner from last week: 

 

       After a period of eating lots of pasta and asian dishes, I was ready for a yummy American home cooked comfort food.  The above meal was REALLY simple to make.  My husband is currently waiting for his training to start for his new job so I have put him to work at home while I'm gone for the day.  While I was at work I instructed him to defrost some chicken and peel and wash 4 potatoes.  When I got home from work I poured some Italian dressing over the chicken (I'm not much for measuring... I'm more of a taste test, shake-spices-until-it-looks-good, kind of girl). So anyway, I poured some dressing over it and left it to marinate for an hour while we left to star in a commercial a guy in our ward is shooting for work. 
       When we returned I just chopped up the potatoes, threw them in some boiling water, and let them cook until they were soft enough to mash.  While the potatoes were boiling, I pre-heated the oven and threw in some Pillsbury biscuits.  Once the potatoes were ready, I strained them (forgot to save some of the starchy water for gravy), and put the chicken on the stove to start frying.  I poured the italian dressing marinade over the chicken to keep the chicken moist and so the flavors would cook in.  I left the chicken to cook on medium heat while I took care of the potatoes.  I made simple home made gravy by melting some butter on the stove (again, no measuring), and then adding a couple tablespoons of flour and whisking it together until smooth balls or chunks were created.  Then I immediately added milk and whisked continuously until all of the balls were dissolved into the milk.  I then added salt and pepper to taste as well as chicken bouillon to taste.  I stirred frequently in between mashing the potatoes.  For the potatoes I added milk and butter until I got the consistency and taste that I wanted and added salt and pepper to taste as well.  Somewhere in all of this I also poured some frozen green beans into a pot with a bit of water to cook.  
       In the end, everything got done at the same time and didn't take long at all! The chicken was DELICIOUS, even though it was a simple marinade.  My husband gobbled it all up and I as usual loved the mashed potatoes and gravy. 

1 comment:

  1. wow..good luck with the goal! I can hardly try to cook something different each month. haha. I have started my blog too so you should check it out. kscookbook.blogspot.com. I made Italian chicken just the other night too, but I bake mine in the oven. so yummy. I also have an oriental salad recipe that looks similar to yours. I'll get around to posting it eventually and we'll see if they are the same. Have fun cooking! I'll be sure to check back for ideas!

    ReplyDelete