Thursday, July 7, 2011

Cinnamon Apple Streusel Muffins

    
     I had a craving for Apple Streusel Muffins the other day but when I went to make them I discovered I was short on about half of the ingredients.  I refused to let that deter me and instead made up my own recipe based on what I had.  The result was a pan full of the most moist, flavorful, delicious muffins I've ever made! Be careful, these are addicting!

INGREDIENTS (16 muffins)
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup honey nut cream cheese (you can also use regular)
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 cup chopped, peeled tart apples
1/2 cup apple sauce
1/3 cup chopped pecans

TOPPING
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons cold butter or margarine
3 tablespoons uncooked oatmeal

DIRECTIONS
  1. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. In another bowl, beat the eggs, sour cream, cream cheese, apple sauce, and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples and pecans. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
  2. For topping, combine sugar, flour,oatmeal, and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle a rounded teaspoonful over each muffin (or more if you want! Pretty sure I did). Bake at 400 degrees F for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment