Saturday, August 6, 2011

Slow Cooker Coconut Chicken Curry


     I love curry.  I especially love curry that allows me to smell it all day as it sits in the slow cooker!  I got this out of a slow cooker recipe book that I'm borrowing from a neighbor.  My husband loved it and licked his bowl clean.  Twice.  

INGREDIENTS
1 Tbl olive oil
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
3 medium potatoes, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
1 c. chicken broth
2-3 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. hot pepper sauce (I used Louisiana hot sauce)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 package (10 oz) frozen peas

DIRECTIONS
1.  Heat oil in medium skillet.  Add chicken breasts and brown on both sides  (Just brown the outsides, don't cook all the way through since it will cook in the slow cooker).  Place potatoes and onion in slow cooker.  Place chicken breasts on top.  Combine coconut milk, broth, curry powder (I always end up adding lots more curry powder than a recipe calls for to get a legitimate flavor.  The original recipe calls for 1 1/2 tsp. so you can add to taste if you'd like, I used closer to 3 tsp), hot sauce, salt, and pepper in medium bowl.  Add to slow cooker.  Cover and cook on LOW 6 to 8 hours. 

2.  About 30 minutes before serving, add peas to slow cooker and stir.  Cover and let cook for 30 minutes.  Serve over hot cooked couscous or rice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment