Thursday, May 26, 2011

Blueberry Oat Waffles

Wow I have slacked off on posting recipes this month!  I blame the new job- 7 less hours in my day to get this done, as well as my recent landmark of reaching the 3rd trimester - I'm getting tired much more often!  Anyway, I've still been cooking something different every day and we've eaten a LOT of great food.  This was our Saturday morning breakfast.  Blueberries were on sale at Sprouts (the Farmers Market) for only $1.99 a pint.  Yes, a full pint.  Incredible.  So, we ate a lot of blueberries last week!  These waffles were amazing and much more healthy than the normal white flour ones!  Here's what you need: 

INGREDIENTS
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour  (I used 1/3 white flour and 1/3 wheat germ)
  • 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup milk (I used coconut milk)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup ground pecans (I didn't have these but I bet they're delicious)
  • 1/2 cup fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries

DIRECTIONS
In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the milk, egg, oil and lemon juice; stir into dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in pecans and blueberries. Let stand for 5 minutes. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown.

My husband and I LOVED these.  So much more than normal waffles. I felt so nutrition-savvy as I substituted in some wheat germ and coconut milk.  I'm trying to incorporate more whole foods into my cooking and am having a LOT of fun.  Once I have some extra cash I'm going to go crazy buying glass jars to store all of my dry goods in (like wheat germ!).  Anyway, these were dense and didn't rise as much as white flour waffles but we actually liked it a lot more that way.  Try these, they're so good and don't leave you feeling sick afterwards.  Just very satisfied and full of oats and wheat and blueberries! 

1 comment: