Thursday, June 2, 2011

Stuffed Green Pepper Soup


     I love me some stuffed green peppers!  This soup is a nice way to change it up and still get your kick. My mother-in-law's ward at church just published a cookbook and this recipe came from it.  I made a few small changes of my own and came up with the following:  

INGREDIENTS (Serves 4)
1 lb. ground beef
2 green bell peppers, chopped
1/4 c. diced onion
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
16 oz. tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1 cube beef bouillon
1 tsp. parsley
1/8 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 Tbl soy sauce
1 cup cooked white rice

DIRECTIONS
1.  In a skillet brown beef over medium high heat.  Drain off any fat.  Add the peppers and onion to the meat and sauté for 3 minutes.  Stir in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes with juice, water, bouillon cube, parsley, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and soy sauce.  Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.  Stir in the rice and heat through, simmering about 10 more minutes.  

The original recipe says to simmer 30 to 45 minutes but I thought that was unnecessary.  Feel free to do so but I just got everything good and hot, gave it about 15 minutes to let flavors set in and then I served it up.  Pretty low-key and very tasty! 




No comments:

Post a Comment