Monday, March 14, 2011

Bok-Choy Salad and Egg Drop soup


     This is a quick and light meal that really hits the spot.  The salad was especially popular.  Note:  I'm still intimidated by bok choy every time I look at it in the store so I substituted romaine lettuce since I wasn't sure how to attack bok choy.  Romaine worked marvelously, so feel free to substitute like I did! 


INGREDIENTS (salad)
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 bunches baby bok choy, cleaned and sliced (or a bunch of romaine lettuce)
  • 1 bunch green onions, chopped
  • 1/8 cup slivered almonds, toasted
  • 1/2 (6 ounce) package chow mein noodles


DIRECTIONS
  1. In a glass jar with a lid (or use a nifty salad dressing mixer that I love!), mix together olive oil, white vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce. Close the lid, and shake until well mixed.
  2. Combine the bok choy (or romaine!), green onions, almonds, and chow mein noodles in a salad bowl. Toss with dressing, and serve



INGREDIENTS (Soup)

  • 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 egg, lightly beaten
  • 4 tablespoons chopped green onion

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a medium stock pot, mix cold chicken broth with cornstarch. Slowly heat over medium heat, stirring frequently.
  2. Pour beaten egg into soup, and stir once around stock pot very gently, in order to break up egg. Remove soup from heat immediately, divide into four portions and garnish with green onions.

As you can see from the picture, I served up the soup and salad with frozen egg rolls that I baked in the oven, in order to add something a little more filling to the meal.  I think everyone went back for thirds and fourths on the salad! 





No comments:

Post a Comment